Comprehensive School Refusal Program
School refusal is common, complex, and extraordinarily challenging to treat. Less than half of young people with school refusal eventually return to complete school. Those that don’t, can face devastating long-term effects on their employability, productivity, social and emotional functioning, and mental health. Such a difficult problem requires “all hands on deck”, and intensive systemic interventions to succeed. Designed by Child Psychiatrist Dr Shannon Morton and The Kooky Clinic Psychology Team, this comprehensive program supports young people, and their families, to feel that they belong at school again, and together, with the support of “the village”, can overcome the hurdles to a brighter future.
- 1 Initial intake Psychology assessment to determine suitability
- 8 Therapeutic Support Group Sessions per term
- 1 School visit with the family to devise a collaborative, tailored return to school program
- Regular additional sessions of Individual Psychotherapy, as needed
- Moderated online support forum for day-to-day peer encouragement and mentoring (teens only)
- 8 Therapeutic Support Group Sessions with a Psychologist per term, running concurrently with the student group, focusing on psycho-education, parenting strategies, and peer mentoring to help parents best support their child’s return to school
- Moderated online parent support forum for day-to-day peer encouragement
- Individual Parent Psychotherapy Sessions available as needed.
A 10% discount applies if the entire group program is paid upfront, at the start of each term.