Separation can be a painful emotional war zone. This 8 week group is designed for anyone in a new, or established, co-parenting situation, who feels they are fighting a losing battle (single, both parents, or step-parents welcome), and are worried about the impact on their children.
The Hurt Locker identifies common emotional trigger-points and provides step-by-step diffusion techniques to promote a more harmonious co-parenting relationship, and prevent children becoming “collateral damage” in adult conflict. The core principals of the group are to remove blame and shame from the equation, and to support people looking beyond their own personal pain and disappointment, to provide the functional parental support unit their children need them to be.
Topics covered include:
- Founding principals of healthy co-parenting relationships
- Responding to children’s questions and concerns, & how to talk about your ex when your kids are around
- Establishing healthy boundaries and ground rules: co-parenting communications & managing conflict aka “How to stay out of court, and the Psychiatrist’s office”
- Differences in parenting styles & conflict in child-rearing philosophies
- The challenges of a changed lifestyle, single parenting, dating & remarriage, & stepfamilies
- Being prepared for negative feelings & self care
- Final sessions will feature specific topics generated by participants that need resolving to restore peace