Therapy Assistant (Occupational Therapy)
Vanessa is a qualified Allied Health Assistant who studied through Open Colleges whilst working as a Teacher Aide/ Allied Health Assistant. Vanessa’s training included practical experience via a variety of support organisations. She is currently in her final year of studying an Associate Degree in Health Science specialising in Community Health and Leisure.
Vanessa has literally juggled her way and jumped through hoops to raise her three children with her husband and study, all whilst working as a circus trainer and performer. She has formal training in circus and gymnastics coaching including many years’ experience as both a coach and lead trainer. This included designing and teaching fun and progressive recreational programs for children. Vanessa also has facilitated specialised (goal based) classes for children on the autism spectrum collaboratively designed by therapists and circus trainers. Vanessa has also worked as a children’s entertainer and provided circus workshops for community, corporate and private events.
Prior to her interests in circus and the health sciences, Vanessa worked for 15 years as a zookeeper whilst she studied for a trade certificate in zookeeping and 1 st year degree in animal science with an interest in behavioural enrichment. This role also included designing and maintaining high profile annual display gardens. She still has a keen interest in gardening which includes upcycling to create fun and interesting living art.
Vanessa has additional skills in:
- Senior first aide (including HLTAID004-provide an emergency first aid response in an education and care setting)
- Mental Health First Aide Training
- Beginner Auslan (Currently studying)
Vanessa has interests in:
- Creative arts and crafts including art therapy & environmentally sustainable arts and crafts.
- Chorography/ Performance Art / Dance
- Developing creative ways of enhancing life skills through recreation-based activities.